Sharing some quick tips on how to deal with stress in busy times…
In my ‘everyday’ life, things have been
a little a LOT stressful lately. Between packing and moving house, selling a house, building a house, cleaning all of said houses, moving house AGAIN and of course unpacking… it safe to say stress levels are at an all time high!! Not to mention my normal blogging/working/home life which if you asked me before all of this was already jam packed full with little to no time to spare as it was! (Thank goodness for my recent bali holiday to refresh a little, before getting right back into it!)
So, as I am now all moved in, finally have internet again (Alleluia!), am back to regular programming and feeling a little less under the pump, today I wanted to share:
Seven tips to help deal with stress…
1. Write everything down – When life gets hectic, your brain gets clogged with 1001 thoughts running around inside your head. Constantly thinking about the things you need to be dealing with can quickly increase stress levels. My number one tip would be to write all of these thoughts down as soon as they enter your head. That way you are not constantly dwelling on them causing stress to build up.
2. Make a list – Following on from my first tip, once you have a clear understanding of what needs to be done, make a list. Write down what steps that need to be taken to complete a task and the time frame in which to do it… and when they are done, don’t forget to cross them off (nothing more satisfying than ticking off a to-do list, right?!)
3. Prioritise – Reality is.. sometimes doing it all is just not possible. As much as we want to push ourselves to get EVERYTHING done, unfortunately sometimes we have to let one of those things go in order to stay sane! Don’t beat yourself up over it, just do the most important things first and then try your best to get the lesser things done too. This one was definitely hard for me last week, with so much to do updating the blog was the thing that suffered, but it just couldn’t be helped and I had to prioritise the things that needed to get done first!
4. Don’t stress – Simple, right?! If only it was that easy!! What I mean, is don’t dwell on things. Make a decision, move on. Allow yourself to think about it for a limited time and then force yourself to move on, don’t keep coming back to the same thoughts over and over again.
5. Be Healthy – You know the drill, eat regular well balanced meals, avoid alcohol and ‘gasp’ caffeine, exercise daily, (even if a 20 min walk is all you can manage), or even better, a yoga class. Take the time to look after yourself and your body will thank you for it!
6. Take a mini break – Yes, it seems counter productive, but sometimes just getting away from it all is the best way to cope with stress. I tried and tested this particular tip last week and trust me, it was the best thing ever! In the lead up to heading to Bali it seemed like really bad timing and pretty much the worst idea ever, (we literally got our keys for our new house the day before we left!) but while we were away relaxing by the pool, our house was being painted and the flooring was laid so that when we came back we were refreshed and ready to move again! Genius!
7. Go shopping – And lastly, my favourite way to de-stress, buy yourself something nice! When you look good you feel good so splashing out on a new pair of shoes or a pretty Summer dress is an instant mood lifter.
Have you tried any of these tips before? Did they work for you?
SHOP THE POST:
Photos by Jenelle Witty of Inspiring Wit.